[sword-devel] OSIS introductions

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 19:05:04 MST 2008

I'd like to suggest a change in how osis2mod handles introductory
material.

SWORD only stores verses and has a concept of verse 0 holding
introductory material.

Given a tuple, (testament, book, chapter, verse) we have the following
introductions
(testament, book, chapter, 0) - a chapter introduction
(testament, book, 0, 0) - a book introduction
(testament, 0, 0, 0) - a testament introduction
I don't know if there is an introduction to the Bible as a whole.

The osis2mod handles it today is that everything up to titles standing
immediately before verse 1 in a chapter are a chapter introduction.
Material before chapter 1 of a book is a book introduction.
Material before Genesis and Matthew are testament introductions.

The book and testament introductions are no problem, but there's a lot
of guess work as to what is a chapter introduction and what goes into
verse 1.

I'd like to suggest that
is used by osis2mod to put material into a chapter introduction.
If it is present it and everything before it within a chapter are put
into the chapter introduction (verse 0) and that everything else
before verse 1 in a chapter is placed in verse 1.

For example, if we have:

<chapter ...>
<title type="chapter">Chapter 3</title>
<title type="section">
</title>
<verse ...>
</verse>

Then
<chapter ...>
<title type="chapter">Chapter 3</title>
would be in the chapter introduction. (Note: a title with
type="chapter" is always in verse 0, since it is distinctly a chapter
title).

and

<title type="section">
</title>