[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 27 07:50:56 MST 2008

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> To be more serious - putting out a non-formatted OSIS feature free VPL
> bible - as long as it is actually faithful to the text - no missing
> words/verses/chapters etc which can be reliably used with gain to
> personal study and for evangelism, is not a sign of inadequate respect,
> but is the computerised equivalent of printing a tract bible for giving
> away. It has its place. It is good, it is good enough.
>
> If we cannot produce a feature full text without major delay we should
> have a featureless text immediately and then reissue with more features
> later.

This is a straw-man argument.

No one has ever so much as suggested that a plain Bible with no more
than text would not be acceptable or pass through for testing.

The issue is, when an individual DOES do markup, it needs to be OSIS or
TEI, as appropriate. Frankly, though, it would really be helpful if even
the most rudimentary Bibles were encoded as OSIS simply because it
allows a certain degree of validation and sanity checking of the content.

--Chris