[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 07:19:53 MST 2008

> Your list of suggested additions to modules at crosswire.org, with due
> respect, consists of persons who are technically unqualified or, because
> they do not subscribe to CrossWire policies on these matters,
> ideologically unqualified to be part of that process. I don't mean to
> insult or ruffle any feathers by that, but that's how things are, and I
> think your own words pretty much support that position.

What are the ideological qualifications?

> And I think many of the complaints from the last few days come from
> individuals who cannot or will not respect authority. Change to current
> systems and workflows can come, but not without respect for the existing
> policies and guiding principles.

What authority? I can hardly believe this was said, but if this is
really the official attitude of Crosswire, then I don't want to be a
part of it. I don't know either what qualifies as disrespect. If you
mean all those who would see deficiencies and have made suggestions to
fix them, then again, I see no reason I should stick around.

> If you do not believe that Bibles, as well as associated content,
> deserve the utmost care and the devotion of as much time as is necessary
> to do right by them, then I do not believe you have any business working
> with them, for it suggests an inadequate respect for the Bible itself.

I don't know what you're getting at here. Chris, I think you should
consider that some of your comments, directed at people including me,
are overly harsh and wrong. Personally I feel that if you don't have
respect and compassion and grace towards people, then that suggests an
inadequate respect for the Bible. If caring for people and their needs
isn't way more important than having correct modules, then this
project has lost its way. Put another way, if people have needs or
desires for modules and you continue to have issues with those modules
being thml, because those willing to work on the modules have no time
to learn osis, then you are putting your standards above people's
needs. If a module fills a need for someone and they can read it, I
don't care a bit if it isn't technically perfect. What seems hard to
get through here, is that perfection should be defined by the user
being able to use the content and no other measure. If OSIS can
facilitate that better, then great. If it stands in the way because
nobody wants to dig through code to learn it, then forget it. It's
getting in the way of the primary mission.

I don't know why I continue to post here, except that I agree very
strongly with the stated goals of crosswire and would like to see this
project succeed. I do not believe that the goals are being put into
practice very well in this area.

matthew