[sword-devel] Taming Wild Threads (was: Getting stuff done (Re: External links))

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Nov 27 05:57:09 MST 2008

LOL Peter!!!

Peter von Kaehne wrote:
> 1) modules at crosswire.org needs to be received by a much wider group. Who
> is controlling this? It should be a core group of people, all with
> rights to beta and a few more. Add Daniel Owens, Karl Kleinpaste, myself
> immediate as interested parties. Add  David Haslam. Add anyone else you
> can think of. Let others create rapidly working modules and rectify them
> thereafter.

modules at crosswire.org is not a discussion list. It's for receipt and
release of content, occasionally with the necessity of providing
feedback regarding errors. I do and will continue to do my best to
manage the incoming submissions, other demands on my time permitting.
It's the same situation as if you send a patch to
patches at crosswire.org--they depend on Troy's availability and
now-and-again how disheartened he is at what some patches try to do to
Sword. At present, there are no pending submissions.

Your list of suggested additions to modules at crosswire.org, with due
respect, consists of persons who are technically unqualified or, because
they do not subscribe to CrossWire policies on these matters,
ideologically unqualified to be part of that process. I don't mean to
insult or ruffle any feathers by that, but that's how things are, and I
think your own words pretty much support that position.

> 2) I think you need to accept that while everyone here appreciates your
> technical ability many seriously chafe under your management of things.

And I think many of the complaints from the last few days come from
individuals who cannot or will not respect authority. Change to current
systems and workflows can come, but not without respect for the existing
policies and guiding principles.

Logos has a guiding principle that I've always respected. Their position
is that Bible software ought to be the best software in the world. I
believe we ought to adopt that principle insofar as we are able. For my
own part I try to make our content as high quality as I can, within my
own and the source materials' limitations. That's not always been my
belief. Once I was young and impetuous and felt that it was most
important and most impressive to get as much content out as quickly as
possible. But I've since come to greater appreciate that the work we do
deserves better than a careless attitude. How much I do is less
important than how well it is done.

If you do not believe that Bibles, as well as associated content,
deserve the utmost care and the devotion of as much time as is necessary
to do right by them, then I do not believe you have any business working
with them, for it suggests an inadequate respect for the Bible itself.

--Chris