[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:39:42 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Ben Morgan <benpmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is how I would do it/it should be done:
>
> For internal links in OSIS:
> In:
> <reference osisRef="module:encoded_key">Text</reference>
> Out (For osishtmlhref):
> <a
> href="passagestudy.jsp?action=moduleRef&value=encoded_key&module=module">Text</a>
>
> Vary the passagestudy string according to taste - especially moduleRef
> If module == "self", use the current module.
>
> If a link starts with Bible: or has no : in it, the existing reference code
> should be used.
>
> I see no reason to give an option for sword:// style of URLs - if anyone
> wants them, they should write their own filters - there is no easy way to
> allow user customization of them. The way above is consistent with the
> similar functionality in the filters.

I don't know the filters well, but surely if there is really a need it
should be possible for frontends to plug their own URL reference
structure into the filter?  Something like: they provide a function
which takes a key and a module and converts it into a URL.  Then the
passagestudy could be the default URL format without preventing people
from using sword://, but not requiring them to convert between them.

Jon