[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:49:15 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Matthew Talbert <ransom1982 at gmail.com>wrote:

> > The advantage of this, I suppose, is that your cross-references could
> > be converted to OSIS refs later.  The disadvantage would come if you
> > lose other information when encoding in OSIS, as Ben suggested.
>
> What information would I lose? I'm new at this, so that's an honest
> question. The only formatting I'm doing is paragraph markers.

If you are just using paragraph markers, you won't lose anything, I don't
think. It's more if you are writing html to make a look a specific way (for
example, if you encoded Words of Christ using a <font color="red"> tag, or
use italics for words the translators added)

> > I don't think a module could ever contain cross-references and be the
> > standard module unless it used reasonably well supported methods, and
> > sword:// isn't, AFAIK, and I don't really think it should be.  That
> > being the case, work is needed to support referencing properly, and
> > I'm not sure who is going to do it or when (but know I don't have time
> > to do it).
>
> What aggravates me about this, is that the official response has been
> "Use OSIS references, don't use sword://, but OSIS references aren't
> supported". Why are OSIS references being recommended when they aren't
> supported? Are there any plans to add support? (I mean concrete plans,
> not "it should be done") Why is the official recommendation to do
> something that isn't supported (notice that at least sword:// is
> supported somewhere) and there aren't plans to?

OSIS references to dictionaries are (or should be) fairly well defined. Just
use module_name:key
For strong's numbers, the way you do it is strong:G5200  (or maybe
strongs:G5200). This will work better with the new strong's module. The TSK
in beta uses this referencing in places. It is more with genbooks that the
difficulty creeps in. I don't think I have time before BPBible 0.4 to put
support in - not that it would be hard. I also have made a dictionary which
needs support for this...

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,