[sword-devel] Getting stuff done (Re: External links)

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 15:38:40 MST 2008

> The advantage of this, I suppose, is that your cross-references could
> be converted to OSIS refs later.  The disadvantage would come if you
> lose other information when encoding in OSIS, as Ben suggested.

What information would I lose? I'm new at this, so that's an honest
question. The only formatting I'm doing is paragraph markers.

> I don't think a module could ever contain cross-references and be the
> standard module unless it used reasonably well supported methods, and
> sword:// isn't, AFAIK, and I don't really think it should be.  That
> being the case, work is needed to support referencing properly, and
> I'm not sure who is going to do it or when (but know I don't have time
> to do it).

What aggravates me about this, is that the official response has been
"Use OSIS references, don't use sword://, but OSIS references aren't
supported". Why are OSIS references being recommended when they aren't
supported? Are there any plans to add support? (I mean concrete plans,
not "it should be done") Why is the official recommendation to do
something that isn't supported (notice that at least sword:// is
supported somewhere) and there aren't plans to?

Matthew