[sword-devel] Gnomesword on Windows

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Nov 20 20:45:11 MST 2008

"Tonny Kohar" <tonny.kohar at gmail.com> writes:
> - Is that the shifting of GUI (the whole things) is the correct
> behaviour of RTL locale (I mean the GUI flow/shifting) ?

The idea is that the "leading side" of RtoL interfaces is on the right.
GTK takes charge of this, based on $LC_ALL for known RtoL locales.  So
yes, turning the whole thing around, putting the menus above the right
side, is the correct behavior, just as having left side menus is
appropriate for more common LtoR locales.

> - Did other correctly localized application in Ubuntu also shifting
> the whole GUI (for RTL locale).

Any GTK-based application should get similar behavior.

> - On Windows/Mac (if exists RTL version of Windows/Mac), Did other
> correctly localized application in Windows/Mac also shifting the whole
> GUI (for RTL locale).

Again, GTK controls.  Obviously, there's some question as to how much
the Windows version of GTK is coping with this: From Matthew's last
screenshot under Windows, GTK clearly was aware enough to engage the
localization of strings (notice menu titles in Farsi) but the interface
was not RtoL.  So something is amiss.