[sword-devel] Personal commentary -- internal scripture xrefs

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 15:55:47 MST 2008

I don't think that personal commentaries are a good idea. Making the user
download a module just so they can edit it seems to me a bad idea -
especially as module creation functionality is already there in SWORD. It
ties you down to having one module (though I believe gnomesword does allow
extras - so this might not apply to it). Further, what if they want to make
a dictionary, or generic book (or even a Bible)? All these aren't covered by
the personal commentary.

In addition to this, different frontends format them differently. What would
be much more sensible, in my opinion, is to allow user editable modules -
perhaps there needs to be a config option for whether a module is user
editable or not - and make these modules use standards compliant OSIS (or
ThML or possibly TEI for dictionaries). That way all frontends should handle
them properly.

When user editable content appears in BPBible, I suspect use of personal
commentaries may be limited to import.

God Bless,
Ben
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.
Philippians 4:23 (ESV)