[sword-devel] Personal commentary -- internal scripture xrefs

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Nov 12 07:24:03 MST 2008

I got an inquiry about this for GnomeSword, but the problem is clearly
not a GS-specific issue, so I'm asking here.

Is there a way to get markup into the personal commentary so that it
xrefs internally to another scripture?

That is, the built-in editor of GS used for the personal commentary
provides for manufacturing a link, but the only mechanism it provides is
something that results in <a href="...">xyz</a>.  What is desired is
ThML <scripRef passage="...">xyz</scripRef> or OSIS <reference
osisRef="...">xyz</reference>.  I've experimented with hand-editing a
personal commentary's content for each of these alternatives but in
neither case does it result in a clickable link.

examples/cmdline/lookup seems to give no indication that the engine is
interested in these sorts of interpretations within personal commentary.

If there's a solution to this, I'd like to know how.  If there's not, I
think it should be considered.

As matters stand, GS understands sword://NET/Matt24:36 just fine as the
target of an <a href>, but that doesn't engage the internal verse list
mechanisms desired; it just immediately auto-navigates there.