[sword-devel] Announcing FireBible 0.5.1 - GPLed Firefox font-end

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 15:37:45 MST 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:12 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Jonathan Morgan wrote:
>  > This kind of announcement really raises in my mind the question "How
>  > much does a piece of software require to be listed on the CrossWire
>  > pages as a project? (such as on the main CrossWire page and the Wiki
>  > sidebar)"  Not all initial concepts that are displayed here reach that
>  > stage, but I certainly think that BPBible has reached it.  Is there
>  > any policy, or is it more along the lines of "Ask and you will
>  > receive?"
>
>  I think we ought actually to move in the opposite direction from what
>  you suggest and weed out software that is inappropriate to the CrossWire
>  front page. In particular, I'd like to remove dead projects and projects
>  affliated with neither Sword nor CrossWire. I would probably cut out
>  everything but the actual active CrossWire projects (Sword, SwordWeb,
>  FlashCards, etc.) and the major frontends. We can create a more
>  extensive frontends page WITHIN the Sword website, where we can do a
>  more extensive breakdown of all the frontends, current and obsolete, for
>  all platforms. This should really not be considered a decrease in
>  exposure since the CrossWire main page really shouldn't get much traffic
>  compared to the Sword pages.

I agree.  My concern was just along the lines of "Why are there links
to dead or unmaintained applications when there are not links to new
projects like this and BPBible that look much more current and alive?"
 Linking to these applications and not others would probably seem to
the average user to be an endorsement of these projects and not
others.

>  Regarding the Wiki, I think we need a front page redesign more than
>  anything. An absurdly long list of frontends, most of whose Wiki pages
>  are completely blank, is poor Wiki layout. When we set it up, of course,
>  everything was blank and we didn't necessarily know how the Wiki would
>  grow. But it's apparent by now that info is never going to come for
>  certain frontends. We can give a full listing of frontend Wiki links on
>  the front page, though (for those that actually have pages).

Agreed.

Jon