[sword-devel] Flex/AIR

Nathan Youngman junkmail at nathany.com
Mon Mar 17 09:07:12 MST 2008

Hi Jon,

I was thinking more in terms of Flash/Flex, but that is one
interesting aspect of AIR, is the ease of integration with other web
technologies.

Adobe has been involved with ePub for reflowable documents, and I
believe Adobe Digital Editions is written with Flex.
http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops/index.htm

The text enhancements and bidi support aren't scheduled for release
until 2009 with Flex 4 though, putting a bit of a damper on using new
and different layouts for the application.

Some sort of SQLite cache definitely makes sense if it can handle the
necessary schema. SQLite is popping up all over the place (iPhone, and
offline data in Firefox, Safari, AIR) and could be a good system to
adopt, though I'm not sure about using it with locked modules.

- nathan

On 17-Mar-08, at 7:17 AM, Jon Brisbin wrote:

> I've considered doing an AIR-based Sword app that uses the public
> domain texts as webservices on a central server. Also considered using
> AIR's SQLite DB to cache data from things so you have quick access to
> what you've already searched on, etc... Did some preliminary work
> toward this end (got sword installed on my webserver and played around
> with diatheke, etc...). Just don't have enough time to pursue it!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jon Brisbin
> http://jbrisbin.com

---