[sword-devel] iPhone SDK

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Mar 6 18:55:02 MST 2008

DM Smith wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:
>> Depending on what comes down the pike from the SDK, I don't know if
>> Sword or JSword would be the better library to integrate with, but
>> I'll be exploring the different options.  I have a number of friends
>> in the on-campus ministry (I'm at the University of Texas at Dallas's
>> Computer Science program) who are iPhone users and lovers.
>
> If Java is on the iPhone the JSword is an option. But from everything
> I've read, it is not.

The SDK is basically for Cocoa (Objective-C). So the existing work on
MacSword or its successor could perhaps be leveraged towards writing a
new UI for the iPhone, but I don't think there's any JRE on the iPhone,
so JSword is probably out of the question.

>> Another interesting option might be for someone to work with making
>> the Sword Web project have an iPhone-happy interface.

I'd love to see a better interface for Sword Web on various devices with
limited screen size (e.g. iPhone/iPod touch, Eee, Nokia tablets, or even
an HTPC running on a 50" screen but viewed from 10 feet).

--Chris