[sword-devel] iPhone SDK

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 6 17:41:26 MST 2008

On Mar 6, 2008, at 6:49 PM, Greg Hellings wrote:

> I have an Intel based Mac running Leopard (that's where I'm sitting
> now).

Me too!

> I've been anxiously awaiting a chance to download the SDK and I have
> every intention of picking up an iPhone this summer when my current
> phone contract runs out.  I have tinkered plenty with Sword while
> putting together a rudimentary client (one of the multiple
> wxWidgets-based clients: wxsword.sourceforge.net) just to become more
> familiar with the Sword API.  I have been holding out putting
> full-time work into a client until I can get my hands on an iPhone and
> work with that.
>
> Depending on what comes down the pike from the SDK, I don't know if
> Sword or JSword would be the better library to integrate with, but
> I'll be exploring the different options.  I have a number of friends
> in the on-campus ministry (I'm at the University of Texas at Dallas's
> Computer Science program) who are iPhone users and lovers.

If Java is on the iPhone the JSword is an option. But from everything
I've read, it is not.

> Another interesting option might be for someone to work with making
> the Sword Web project have an iPhone-happy interface.

I've thought about this, but without an iPhone, I wasn't going to try.
However, Joe Walker, the original lead dev for JSword, has written
DWR, which is tailor made for integrating JSword into a web-app. I've
been thinking, that at minimum, a demo of JSword in a web context
would be a good thing. Targeting a small device would be cool. Perhaps
Joe would seed it with his "studious" code (the demo at http://eireneh.com/studious
  is currently broken).