[sword-devel] iphone license

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 10:29:05 MST 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 12:17 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Nathan Youngman wrote:
>> Well, Apple finally accepted me for the developer program... not sure
>> if this license (Jun 8th) is any different than before concerning FOSS:
>>
>> "If Your Application includes any FOSS, You agree to comply with all
>> applicable FOSS licensing terms. You also agree not to use any FOSS in
>> development of Your Application in such a way that would cause the non-
>> FOSS portions of the Apple Software to be subject to any FOSS
>> licensing terms or obligations."
>>
>> "...not conflict with the digital signing or content protection
>> aspects of the Program or any of the terms, conditions or requirements
>> of the Program or this Agreement..."
>>
>> [in that regard, I believe GPL v3 conflicts with digital signing, but
>> Sword is GPL v2]
>>
>> More:
>> http://developer.apple.com/iphone/terms/program/iphone_standard_agreement_20080609.pdf
>
> In the document they define FOSS thusly:
> <quote>
> "FOSS" (Free and Open Source Software) means any software that is
> subject to terms that, as a condition of use, copying, modification or
> redistribution, require such software and derivative works thereof to be
> disclosed or distributed in source code form, to be licensed for the
> purpose of making derivatives works, or to be redistributed free of
> charge, including without limitation software distributed under the GNU
> General Public License or GNU Lesser/Library GPL.
> </quote>
>
> It appears from the agreement that we can deliver our parts of the
> software as open, but if we use any part of Apple's stuff that is not
> open, we can't make that open.
>
> I don't think this is that different from BibleCS on Windows. It uses
> non-open code (e.g. UI rendering) but doesn't obligate that to become open.
>
> It is also like BibleDesktop in requiring non-open Java (soon we can be
> fully open!!!).
>
> (On a side note, I'd like to get an iPhone, but am waiting for good,
> open, free Bible software. Thus I want a SWORD solution.)

I am planning to pick mine up (I need a new phone and agreement
anyway) as soon as the new generation is available.  At that time I
hope to finish the jsword/web front-end that I had started back some
time ago (there was a discrepancy between the iPhone Simulator, which
displayed my buttons correctly and the iPhone device, which didn't).
Functionally it's running, but stylistically and intuitively it needs
a few more tweaks.

Additionally, pending a final response from Apple/and-or GNU legal
people, I was hoping to leverage the Obj-C interface already underway
and start on a native application.  I hear that, with the Interface
builder, it's supposed to be remarkably straightforward.

--Greg