[sword-devel] iphone license

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 10:17:38 MST 2008

Nathan Youngman wrote:
> Well, Apple finally accepted me for the developer program... not sure
> if this license (Jun 8th) is any different than before concerning FOSS:
>
> "If Your Application includes any FOSS, You agree to comply with all
> applicable FOSS licensing terms. You also agree not to use any FOSS in
> development of Your Application in such a way that would cause the non-
> FOSS portions of the Apple Software to be subject to any FOSS
> licensing terms or obligations."
>
> "...not conflict with the digital signing or content protection
> aspects of the Program or any of the terms, conditions or requirements
> of the Program or this Agreement..."
>
> [in that regard, I believe GPL v3 conflicts with digital signing, but
> Sword is GPL v2]
>
> More:
> http://developer.apple.com/iphone/terms/program/iphone_standard_agreement_20080609.pdf

In the document they define FOSS thusly:
<quote>
“FOSS” (Free and Open Source Software) means any software that is
subject to terms that, as a condition of use, copying, modification or
redistribution, require such software and derivative works thereof to be
disclosed or distributed in source code form, to be licensed for the
purpose of making derivatives works, or to be redistributed free of
charge, including without limitation software distributed under the GNU
General Public License or GNU Lesser/Library GPL.
</quote>

It appears from the agreement that we can deliver our parts of the
software as open, but if we use any part of Apple's stuff that is not
open, we can't make that open.

I don't think this is that different from BibleCS on Windows. It uses
non-open code (e.g. UI rendering) but doesn't obligate that to become open.

It is also like BibleDesktop in requiring non-open Java (soon we can be
fully open!!!).

(On a side note, I'd like to get an iPhone, but am waiting for good,
open, free Bible software. Thus I want a SWORD solution.)

In Him,
DM