[sword-devel] "About" text in ChiNCV[st]

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 12:17:34 MST 2008

On Jun 14, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> These modules' "About" texts use \uNNNN encoding.  They display fine
> in
> the Windows UI but are uninterpreted in GnomeSword.
>
> The GS code just invokes ((SWModule *)m)->getConfigEntry("About").
> How
> is an interpretation expected to be imposed on that, so that \uN gets
> interpreted properly?

It also doesn't work at:
www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=ChiNCVs
http://www.crosswire.org/study/fulllibrary.jsp?show=ChiNCVs

There is a module in beta, turntb, which has these codes too.

Basically the code is \\uXXXXXy
where XXXXX is a signed 16 bit number. So just rip it off, convert to
a digit and then add 65535 if < 0. The resulting 16 bit unsigned
number is unicode. It would need to be split into two bytes and
stuffed into a char array.
The first X can be - but after that it can only be [0-9], the first
non-digit, y, is the "substitution" character to be used if unicode
cannot be handled. Typically the substitution character is a '?'.

This is mentioned in the wiki, though there is a typo. It gives
\q{num}? rather than \u{num}?
See: http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/DevTools:Modules#Creating_a_.conf_File

I've added the code to JSword, so it handles it. To my knowledge,
there is no code in SWORD to convert it to unicode. I can provide
JSword's code as a pattern, if needed.

That said, the RTF handling of BibleCS allows for unicode in RTF
without codes. I'd like to recommend that these three modules' confs
be changed to have real unicode and that we don't permit them in the
future.

In Him,
	DM