[sword-devel] Quotation mark, non-English usage?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Thu Jul 24 12:54:35 MST 2008

Jonathan Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:40 PM, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> Just shows that the border between content and presentation is
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzzy_set fuzzy .
>
> I know.  I wasn't too serious about it because I don't care too much
> about strict separation of form and content.  I only really care when
> you want a particular presentation with something like OSIS and you
> have to jump through lots of hoops to get it because it's so nicely
> "presentation independent".

In this case, OSIS gives you many options for generating linebreaks.
Aside from <p>...</p>, which should contain a paragraph and presumably

<l>...</l> is the semantic line markup. It is essentially intended for
verses of poetry. But <lb/> is explicitly intended for marking
orthographic lines, without respect to the semantic intent of the
linebreak. It was added to permit the preservation of certain
presentational features that some publishers feel is meaningful to their
translations--though it is also intended for use in manuscript markup,
where you would want to preserve aspects of presentation found in a
particular instance of a document.

OSIS does maintain the separation of semantic and presentational markup

--Chris