[sword-devel] engine profiling

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Tue Jul 22 03:44:05 MST 2008

"Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org> writes:
> The difference between iterating the KJV
> (heavily tagged OSIS zText) and GerLut (reasonably tagged GBF RawText)
> without filters involved, was about 5x speed difference (12.9s vs. 2.7s).

I have wondered now and again about a utility which would do a one-time
decompress with a requisite update of .conf, after the fashion of
mkfastmod (that is to say, as a distinct step of maintaining one's
modules), just to step past the "compressed module => slow performance"
problem entirely.

I understand the need for compressed support for the sake of reduced
download times as well as not being wasteful for folks on space-limited
platforms.  But for those of us using modern systems where monster discs
have become routine, disc space costs nothing, and the performance
trade-off is obvious.