[sword-devel] SwordReader - eVC 3.0 discontinued

John zorkermobile at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 2 20:31:00 MST 2008

David and All,

>From time to time, M$ "recreates," obviouly for their own benefit, the EULA
for software that is being made available.  THIS means that there are
chances where software is discontinued and no longer available at the
website.  According to the licensing "rules" in the Software Business
Association, formerly known as the Software Publishers Association, once a
license is made available (via purchase acquisition),

They, the vendor--M$--are just as bound to the license rules as are the end
users.  This cannot be broken by the vender by a discontinuance of the
software availability.  It may be broken by the end user only, as noted by
Daniel Blake, via software license transfer agreement, and the new end user
needs to agree to the EULA "prior" to installing and using the software.

Every software vendor is in favor of this model for the simple reason that
"competitive upgrades" cannot be broken by an EULA.  This was one of the
major "sticking points" that M$, IBM, and even LOTUS had in court back in
the early to mid-90s.  I spent a great deal of time with lawyers and experts
at that time--hammering out software licensing.

Just because it is unavailable does not mean that it is useless.  The
original posting to this list was spawned by the acquisition of qty of 10 HP
Jornada 548 units--in perfect shape.  My intention is to load the
SwordReader and many of the available modules for my neices and nephews to
use in their Bible study while away from their homes.  I also intend to keep
supplying these to the others as they arrive of age to protect and
responsibily use such a tool.

The abandonment of eVC 3.0 will, correct me if I am misunderstanding, render
the SwordReader "broken" for the platform (Windows CE 3.0) for the SH-3
processor.  I would most diligently consider a platform of development that
will continue support for these units, and keep this tool available to the
"new" generation of "inheriting" students of the Word of God.

An alternative to the M$ eVC 3.0 might be Orbworks.com PocketC environment.
BTW, there are other persons in the M$ eVT 3.0 forums
(http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2723319&SiteID=1)
which are asking M$ to restore the download link for the packages you
mentioned.

R,

John Gammon