[sword-devel] Ukrainian Bibles, CCEL and Unbound Bible Project?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 12:41:19 MST 2008

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:35 PM, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone shed light on the following?
>
> The SWORD module "Ukrainian" is the whole Bible of 66 books, as derived from
> the CCEL file (ThML format).
> Actually it's less than the real Ukrainian whole Bible, which usually
> includes the Deuterocanonical books, as part of the Eastern Canon.

The SWORD doesn't support the deuterocanonical books at this time.
Support for that, IIRC, is coming down the pike in planned updates,
but it's not even to beta form yet (I could be mistaken about all of
that).

> The CCEL download "Ukrainian Translation" states that it was derived from
> the Unbound Bible data. viz. "This Bible translation was converted
> automatically from data files made available by the Unbound Bible project.
> Book names, introductions, titles, paragraphs, and the like were not
> available, so standard English names have been used. Therefore this file
> would benefit from additional work by someone who has access to a print
> edition."
>
> The Unbound Bible project now sports only the Ukrainian NT of P.Kulish
> (1871).  The whole Ukrainian Bible is currently not listed in their
> downloads or search facilities.
>
> Anyone know what has happened since CCEL first obtained it?

I'm only speculating, but odds are good that they found some sort of
problem - either technical, and they're working on that, or legal.
Those would be my guesses.  I don't keep up with anything related to
the CCEL, though, so I'm just guessing here.

--Greg