[sword-devel] SwordReader - HTML Renderer - Demo

Matt Reimer mattjreimer at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 18:29:18 MST 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 1:36 PM, Barry Drake <bdrake at crosswire.org> wrote:
> Hi David .......
>
> David Trotz wrote:
> > I have conducted some timing tests to quantify just how much faster the
> > new renderer is, see the results below
>
> It's impressive.  I haven't been able to take accurate timings, but the
> impression I get is that they are similar on my device.  The only thing
> I'm wondering about: you seem to display a different font from the MS
> one: will it still be able to handle the Greek properly?

Yes, nice!

As long as it can display utf-8, it should display Greek fine.
Biblical Hebrew is another matter. Something I've been watching is
Qt/Embedded for WinCE. It's out as a tech preview now, and it includes
WebKit. The reason Qt and WebKit would be good for WinCE/Pocket
PC/Windows Mobile is that Qt and WebKit have the i18n functionality
we'd need to properly render all sorts of languages, particularly
biblical Hebrew.

Plus, it's cross-platform. If you're interested:

    http://trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/qt-windows-ce

FWIW: for my pygtk sword reader I'm using GtkTextView widgets to
display the text, and a simple but adequate OSIS parser written in
python (well, it's actually the expat parser in python with the hooks
written in python). Parsing the OSIS is somewhat expensive (a couple
of seconds for a chapter of Luke with 150 footnotes plus headings),
but I cache the GtkTextBuffer on disk/flash (using its serialize
functions) for quick loading when the chapter is loaded subsequently,
which takes a fraction of a second.

Matt