[sword-devel] Calvin's Commentaries and empty footnotes

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 9 13:30:15 MST 2008

Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi there .......
>
> I notice something like this in KJV: <note type="study">Adam: or, the
> man</note>
>
> In the new Calvin, there seems to be something like: <note n="40">

This is perfectly valid OSIS.

Just a wild guess that the <p>...</p> is causing the note to be rendered
as empty.

IMHO, having the entire note surrounded by <p> is unnecessary and
probably will introduce unwanted whitespace.

> In KJV, we don't seem to have a number, just a 'type'.

The KJV preserved the type attribute from the previous edition. There
were no "n" attributes, so none were created.

>   The 'raw' output
> shows the 'type' as 'type=n'

Actually, this is a "magic" value created by the Sword engine. It is set
to 'x' if it the type is a cross-reference and 'n' otherwise.

>  - it's obviously using the 'n' that goes
> with the note number.

BTW, in OSIS (and I think that it got it from TEI), the n attribute is
used for the "number" to be shown. It could be something other than
digits. Sword does not look at the value, but manufactures it's own.
JSword uses it if present, creating it's own when not.

>   I don't know whether or not this is good Osis,
> but I'm sure if you change the number reference to <note type="study">
> in all of the footnotes, it ought to work.  I'll wait to hear comments ...

In looking at some of the Sword engine for OSIS, I don't think
type="study" will change anything.

Hope this helps,
    DM