[sword-devel] Calvin's Commentaries - new module

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Jan 9 13:11:46 MST 2008

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> Eeli Kaikkonen <eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> writes:
> They're called footnotes for a reason: They are to be displayed at the
> foot of the (printed, as originally intended) page.  If they were
> intended to be inline, the author would have written the notes
> parenthetically.  UIs showing footnotes inline are just broken.

Actually "footnote" is a wrong word here because the problem we are
talking about here is about "note".

>From OSIS docs:

8.4. Note Placement
The placement attribute on the note element is used to specify the
placement of a note within the text. In
addition to the usual "x-" preceeding a custom value, the following
values have been defined:
    ?  foot
    ?  end
    ?  inline
    ?  left
    ?  right
    ?  interlinear
    ?  apparatus

Probably no module uses this ATM. But "inline" is one possibility so
"broken" is not a right word when talking about the placement of <note>
tag. But on the other hand, OSIS is also for printing, not only
monitors. We should display the notes in the most convenient style for
the end user - otherwise we could as well use PDF format which can give
the original visual appearance. So, basically you are still right :)

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland