[sword-devel] OSIS questions ?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Dec 29 15:24:16 MST 2008

Tonny Kohar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is this an appropriate mailing list to ask about OSIS tagging ? if it
> is not just ignore the following questions, and if you know please
> point me to the appropriate forum/mailing list related to OSIS.

Ideally, an osis-user would still exist, which would be the appropriate
place to ask. But it doesn't, so here is probably the best place.

> Here is the text (Indonesia KJV, only Matt chapter 1 and half chapter
> 2 :) that I will be based my questions
> http://www.kiyut.com/products/alkitab/developer/sourcecode/IndKJV-20081229.zip
> or in the attachment if this mailing list allow attachment

As a rule, sending attachments to mailing lists (especially those with
large subscriberships) should always be avoided. Links are always
better, if possible.

> - the header, do I get it correct ?
> * xml:lang, it is ind or id

It's id. Always choose the ISO 639-1 form if it exists.

> * <identifier type="OSIS">Bible.id.IndKJV.2008</identifier>
> * <rights type="x-copyright">Public Domain</rights>
> * <work osisWork="s">
>     <identifier type="OSIS">Lemma.Strongs</identifier>
> </work>
> <work osisWork="m">
>     <identifier type="OSIS">Morph.Strongs</identifier>
> </work>
> is the above osisWork is somekind of shortcut so I could just write
> inside <w> something like s:G159 rather than strong:G269 and m:N-NSF
> rather than robinson:N-NSF ?

Yes, exactly. When you're all finished, I would recommend changing s: to
strong: and m: to robinson: for Sword, but during this phase, it may be
a nice shortcut.

> - the src attribute of <w> for strongs and morph, what is this use for
> and how do I know the numbering system ?
> for example in Mat 1:1 the word Jesus indicated by <w ...
> morph="robinson:N-GSM" src="3">, what is src="3" means ?

src, as used by CrossWire, is a number n where n is the nth word in the
Greek source text. It was used to tie the KJV2003 text to the underlying
Byz text during tagging. I don't know whether it is used still. The
swordweb might use it still.

> - <w> declaration confusion?
> in some case it is declaring multiple reference is single <w>, in
> other case it is using multiple <w>
> eg:
> in Matt 1:2 (in the start/begining) it have
> <w lemma='strong:G3588' morph='robinson:T-ASM' src='8'></w>
> <w lemma='strong:G3588' morph='robinson:T-ASM' src='3'></w>
> in other case it declare (Matt 1:2, in the middle
> <w lemma='strong:G3588 strong:G2455' morph='robinson:T-ASM
> robinson:N-ASM' src='13 14'>Judas</w>
> So what is the correct way ?

Someone else might have better advice, but this is a case of non-1:1
mapping. If a Greek word maps to no translated word, the <w> element
will be empty. If multiple Greek words map to a single translated word,
you would expect to see the second case, with multiple strong: values
and multiple n attributes.

> - What should I use <verse osisID='Matt.1.3'> is using english or
> using the translation eg: <verse osisID='Mat.1.3'>
> Matt (English) = Mat (Indonesia). The OSIS manual does not clear in
> this area regarding non english

The manual is clear on this. The standard abbreviations are found on
pages 123-125 of the manual. Use only these values for Bibles. (In the
case that you or someone else need to add other value, there are longer,
more inclusive lists. You can consult the SBL Handbook or ask us for them.)

> - <milestone resp='jbm 2003-06-27-16:21' type='x-strongsMarkup'> or
> <milestone marker='¶' type='x-p'>, what is this milestone ?
> and if I want to declare paragrap, is this <milestone marker='¶'
> type='x-p'> is this what should I use ?

The resp milestones mark who did the tagging of the KJV2003.

Please never use milestones to mark paragraphs. Use the <p> element.

> - <transChange type="added">are</transChange>, if I am doing
> translation from KJV (English) to Indonesia, do I still need to
> translate these ? and what type should I use(added, moved, or
> amplified), note my case is translating KJV (English) to Indonesian
> not from original (Hebrew/Greek) to Indonesian

You don't _need_ <transChange> at all. Whether such changes are present
or necessary will depend partly on your translation and partly on the
morpho-syntactic similarity of Greek, English, and Indonesian. You would
have to come up with your own standards for applying the <transChange>
element.

Were I doing a translation from English, I would probably exclude the
<transChange> element entirely.

> sidenote: where can I download the OSIS file for KJV with strong and
> morph (which is used in crosswire), so I could easily compare my
> output with that KJV OSIS.

The latest version can be found here:
http://www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/kjv2006/index.html

--Chris