[sword-devel] The Tyndale Society

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Dec 27 13:19:22 MST 2008

http://www.tyndale.org/ The Tyndale Society

Aims of the Society
The Society exists for all who are interested in the work and influence of
William Tyndale. William Tyndale gave us our English Bible.

Forbidden to work in England, Tyndale translated and printed in English the
New Testament and half the Old Testament between 1525 and 1535 in Germany
and the Low Countries. He worked from the Greek and Hebrew original texts
when knowledge of those languages in England was rare. His pocket-sized
Bible translations were smuggled into England, and then ruthlessly sought
out by the Church, confiscated and destroyed. Condemned as a heretic,
Tyndale was strangled and burned outside Brussels in 1536.

His work has survived.

Tyndale's English translation of the New Testament was taken almost word for
word into the much praised Authorised Version (King James Bible) of 1611,
which also reproduces a great deal of his Old Testament. From there his
words passed into our common understanding.

People across the world honour him as a great Englishman, unjustly condemned
and still unfairly neglected. His solitary courage, and his skill with
languages - including, supremely, his own - enriched English history in ways
still not properly examined, and then reached out to affect all
English-speaking nations.

His influence has been as wide as Shakespeare's. His phrases are so
well-known that they are often thought to be proverbial - 'let there be
light', 'we live and move and have our being', 'fight the good fight', 'the
signs of the times', 'the powers that be', 'a law unto themselves', and
hundreds more. The familiar words telling the great Bible stories are
usually Tyndale's.

Modern interest in Tyndale is developing rapidly in many fields,
particularly history, theology, Bible studies, literature, language,
translation theory and the history of art.