[sword-devel] New website - installation instructions

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 23:55:12 MST 2008

> SWORD plays fine on Windows if you point SWORD_PATH to where the
> modules are installed.  Handling whether they are writable by the user
> is a system administration issue, and should be left that way.  The
> only time when a user won't have write access to the Program Files
> folder is when they are on a recent NT version of Windows, in which
> case, ~/.sword notation works perfectly well to place the files in
> C:\Users\<User name>\.sword

Our definitions of playing well are different.

Having a directory with "." at the beginning is not playing well.

Also, it isn't true that it is only recent versions do not allow acces
to Program Files. Windows XP normal users can't write to Program Files
(I just tested).

Also, sword supports the linux concept of having a shared directory
and a personal directory. Windows has this concept too, but it is
being ignored in favor of Program Files. This is not playing well.
Especially now that we are being told to ignore the correct way to do
things on Windows, and told we should agree to do the wrong thing.