[sword-devel] Eloquent/InstallMgr Question

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 23:44:14 MST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Manfred Bergmann <bergmannmd at web.de> wrote:

>  Am 08.04.2008 um 23:38 schrieb Greg Hellings:
>

>  > On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:28 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  >> Greg Hellings wrote:
>  >>> On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 2:31 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com>
>  >>> wrote:
>  >>>
>  >>>>

>  >>> troublesome for sharing between, say, BibleDesktop and MacSword.
>  >>> Putting them in /Library/Application Support/Sword for global
>  >>> installs
>  >>> and ~/Library/Application Support/Sword would make sense.
>  >> This makes sense to me, too.  It is simple enough to modify
>  >> Eloquent and
>  >> BibleDesktop to also look there to find modules.
>  >>
>  >> But how would one install to /Library/Application Support/Sword (the
>  >> global area, not owned by a particular user)?
>  >
>  > It would have to be done with Administrator/root privileges.  sudo on
>  > the command line works, as does the authorization window that OS X
>  > brings up (not sure if that's automatic at the time an attempted write
>  > is made or if it needs to be done programatically) for GUI users.
>
>  This needs to be done programatically. But it is not difficult.
>  I have code here for doing this. Let me know if you need a snipped.

I was thinking more from the point of view of Eloquent.  If the
install location is going to be in the /Library folder,
Eloquent/MacSword would need to have this capability.  If the global
install location is going to be in /Users/shared, then it wouldn't be
necessary.

I'm working on the beginnings of an iPhone front-end (and hoping to
leverage your work with the Eloquent wrapper), where everything is
completely different.  Each application is restricted to a Sandbox
which only it has read/write access to.  There is no access to data
outside of that area except through specialized protocols (for contact
information, GPS-like location information, etc).  Disk I/O is
restricted in this way so that no application may interfere with other
application data.