[sword-devel] single-user vs. multi-user installations, modules and packaging (Re: [Gnomesword-developers] a bug?)

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 22 10:17:21 MST 2007

I'll bite. I read the thread and I see several things being brought up:
1) Multi-user installs of modules.
	As I see it, the rpm or deb has a problem in that it is not managing
permissions correctly. My suggestion is that the global sword area
have group permission of "sword" and the administrator of the machine
adds people to the sword group if they have permission to do installs.

	Further, how many setups are multi-user installs where someone does
not have enough savy to make the permission changes?

2) Distribution of modules via a Linux distribution.
	Many modules have something to the effect that "Copyrighted;
Permission to distribute granted to Crosswire" These cannot be
distributed by this means.
	Each Linux distribution would need to get it's own permission for
these.

	If freely distributable modules, such as the KJV, are made available
by the Linux distributions, the distribution takes upon itself
upgrade issues.

	For these and probably other reasons, I don't think modules should
be part of any distribution.

3) Globally stored unlock keys.
	This may be a violation of the license agreement that accompanied
the unlock key. I don't see any reason to support it.
	In a separate thread Troy suggested a separate conf file that the
config manager would read. This can be maintained on a per user basis
in ~/.sword.
	Whatever means is used, it should work for BibleTime, GnomeSword and
BibleDesktop on the same machine.