[sword-devel] Beta Tisch and MorphGNT

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 11:38:38 MST 2007

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Matt Reimer wrote:
>
>> I agree. IMHO Strong's numbers are an implementation detail that
>> should remain hidden if at all possible.
>>

> It is a fossil from the age when there were no computers, only books.
> The reason for it's existence is that many people could not find a word
> from the lexicon/concordance. Now when computers do the searching and
> finding there should be no reason to show such unmeaningful numbers. The
> frontends should take care of assigning dictionary entries to words.
> IMHO showing Strong's numbers at all is usually a sign of bad UI design.
>
> Of course there should be some way to see them because sometimes one has
> to use books with computers, but the UI should hide them when working
> with the computer only.

In the near future, we will have a Strong's module that will contain the
Greek or Hebrew headword clearly marked up. Then we will be able to make
the Strong's number an implementation detail. That is, "Show Strong's
Headwords" can optionally replace "Show Strong's Numbers". And when the
dictionary is shown, it can show the headword rather than the Strong's
number. Alas, some people are so trained to the actual number itself
that they will want to continue to see it.

In Him,
    DM