[sword-devel] Calvin's Commentaries - new module

Luke Plant L.Plant.98 at cantab.net
Thu Nov 29 17:15:20 MST 2007

Hi all,

I've created a module that combines all of Calvin's commentaries.  It is
an OSIS module, which I've generated from CCEL's ThML sources, using
XSLT and various python scripts etc.  osis2mod doesn't yet support OSIS
commentaries very well (it requires them to be marked up like Bibles),
so, after some messing around, I've added a stage into the scripts
to 'versify' the OSIS -- hopefully that will be removed at some point.

All my scripts etc. are in the swordtools Subversion repository.  For
the end result, see:

http://lukeplant.me.uk/misc/sword/calvinscommentaries.versified.osis.bz2
http://lukeplant.me.uk/misc/sword/calvinscommentaries.conf

It's working quite nicely on my machine :-)

To generate the module from sources, you will need to look in the
swordtools repository:

 http://crosswire.org/svn/modules/calvinscommentaries

Have a look at the README. (BTW, current build scripts don't clean up
after themselves very well, to make debugging easier, so you will end
up with 300 Mb of stuff in a folder 'build').

You will also need the CCEL sources -- for your convenience, you can
download them here:

http://lukeplant.me.uk/misc/sword/calcom_sources.tar.bz2

I haven't checked this thoroughly by any means, and I've run out of time
to do any more work on it for a while, but it should provide a pretty
solid basis.  The module strips out everything that isn't commentary,
including Calvin's latin translation of the text and all the forewords
and indexes -- I think that is better, for now at least.

One thing I have noticed, and I think it is a bug with osis2mod -- where
a line starts with whitespace, all the leading whitespace is removed,
which means that if the line before didn't end with whitespace, two
words now get joined together.  For an example, search for "eloquent by
nature, but when" in calvinscommentaries.versified.osis, and see the
corresponding words in Gen 3:1, where you will find "whenSatan".  This
occurs quite a lot, it would be good to get it fixed before releasing
the module to the public.

Regards,

Luke

--
"Mediocrity: It takes a lot less time, and most people don't realise
until it's too late." (despair.com)

Luke Plant || http://lukeplant.me.uk/