[sword-devel] OSIS troubles not yet resolved

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 21:57:17 MST 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 10:03 PM, Daniel Owens wrote:

> I have checked and rechecked my OSIS tagging of the New Vietnamese
> Bible
> (2002), for which I am currently seeking permission to distribute, by
> the way (The copyright holders are hard to find.). I believe it is a
> valid OSIS document. At the very least it matches the tagging produced
> by mod2osis.
>
> I removed all line breaks in the xml file after the header to solve
> the
> problem of line breaks displaying after the verse number in
> BibleDesktop
> and BibleTime. The two features which cause difficulty now are
> headings
> and notes. I've had trouble with line breaks as well (<p></p> is
> useless), but I'm leaving them aside until I have success with
> headings
> and notes.
>
> Headings display correctly in BibleTime 1.6.2 (Kubuntu 7.04),
> GnomeSword
> 2.2.0 (Kubuntu 7.04), and BibleCS 1.5.10pre4 (Windows XP Home).
> Headings
> do not display at all in BibleDesktop 1.0.7 (Windows XP Home), though
> the View Source dialog shows that the tags are there in the "Original"
> source.

It could be that this bug is that the headings are becoming part of
verse 0, which is automatically displayed in chapter mode in the
other applications. At the moment BibleDesktop does not handle verse 0.
A good example of how to attach a heading to verse 1 instead of verse
0 can be found in the KJV. You can get the xml for the KJV here:
www.crosswire.org/~dmsmith/kjv2006.

But given that you said that BibleDesktop's View Source shows it. My
guess is that I have a bug in the code.

> Notes do not display at all in BibeCS. In BibleDesktop, BibleTime, and
> GnomeSword the notes appear in the text like this (Genesis 2:24):
>
>     Vì thế, người nam sẽ rời cha mẹ để kết hiệp
> với vợ và hai người trở
> thành một thân."  Nt: một thịt

This should be encoded something like:
<verse sID="Gen.2.24" osisID="Gen.2.24" n="24"/>Vì thế, người
nam sẽ rời cha mẹ để kết hiệp với vợ và hai người
trở thành một thân.<q eID="xxx" marker="""/><note osisRef="Gen.
2.24" osisID="Gen.2.24!1" n="1" type="translation">Nt: một thịt</
note><verse eID="Gen.2.24"/>

I used xxx for eID to represent whatever the matching sID should be.

Notice that there is no space before the <note....> This means that
the note marker will be attached to what precedes it.

> The last part, "Nt: một thịt," is a translation note. To solve
> this
> problem I tried using mod2osis with the ESV and the NETtext to see how
> they tagged notes, and following their format made no change even
> though
> recompiling those modules based on the output generated by mod2osis
> did
> not produce the same problems that my module has produced. Do the ESV
> and NETtext have a special dispensation in the front-end filters? Not
> being a developer, I have to think things through theologically. ;-)

There is no special dispensation. :)

> Please, if anyone can guide me in how to tag headings for BibleDeskop
> and notes for all (or any) of the Sword front-ends I would appreciate
> it. I prepared an xml file and conf file for anyone who wants to
> look at
> the module. It contains only Genesis. Just send me an email and I will
> send it to you directly.

Please send it to me directly. (as a zip file.)