[sword-devel] OSIS troubles not yet resolved

Daniel Owens dhowens at pmbx.net
Sun Nov 4 20:03:20 MST 2007

I have checked and rechecked my OSIS tagging of the New Vietnamese Bible
(2002), for which I am currently seeking permission to distribute, by
the way (The copyright holders are hard to find.). I believe it is a
valid OSIS document. At the very least it matches the tagging produced
by mod2osis.

I removed all line breaks in the xml file after the header to solve the
problem of line breaks displaying after the verse number in BibleDesktop
and BibleTime. The two features which cause difficulty now are headings
and notes. I've had trouble with line breaks as well (<p></p> is
useless), but I'm leaving them aside until I have success with headings
and notes.

Headings display correctly in BibleTime 1.6.2 (Kubuntu 7.04), GnomeSword
2.2.0 (Kubuntu 7.04), and BibleCS 1.5.10pre4 (Windows XP Home). Headings
do not display at all in BibleDesktop 1.0.7 (Windows XP Home), though
the View Source dialog shows that the tags are there in the "Original"
source.

Notes do not display at all in BibeCS. In BibleDesktop, BibleTime, and
GnomeSword the notes appear in the text like this (Genesis 2:24):

    Vì thế, người nam sẽ rời cha mẹ để kết hiệp với vợ và hai người trở
thành một thân."  Nt: một thịt

The last part, "Nt: một thịt," is a translation note. To solve this
problem I tried using mod2osis with the ESV and the NETtext to see how
they tagged notes, and following their format made no change even though
recompiling those modules based on the output generated by mod2osis did
not produce the same problems that my module has produced. Do the ESV
and NETtext have a special dispensation in the front-end filters? Not
being a developer, I have to think things through theologically. ;-)

Please, if anyone can guide me in how to tag headings for BibleDeskop
and notes for all (or any) of the Sword front-ends I would appreciate
it. I prepared an xml file and conf file for anyone who wants to look at
the module. It contains only Genesis. Just send me an email and I will
send it to you directly.

Daniel