[sword-devel] dynamic versification

DJ Ortley djortley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 12:41:47 MST 2007

I have a few questions (that are born more out of ignorance than anything
else..like most of my thoughts.)

Is the idea that is being talked about to create a new VerseKey that takes
an input that is assumed to be the versification of a KJV verse and
translate that to what's appropriate for any module type so the reference
will always be pertinent?

If so, then could I give a suggestion that VerseKey be reworked to NOT do
that and to just provide pure access to whatever the module has and then
have a reversifier (new word:) )  object that somehow handles the
versification?

Maybe, to avoid breaking everybody else's code, make VerseKey the
reversifier and create a new object to access verses in their pure state,
like a PureKey object or something?  There are many reasons why someone
would want to have access to a non-reversified bible, and I'm sure I don't
need to come up with examples.

I don't know how hard or wrong of a thing it would be to do that, but from
what I can tell, I think that its not too poor of an idea.  Of course, I may
have just rehashed what everyone else was thinking, in which case ignore me
(though tell me before ignoring me:) )

I'm trying to stimulate conversation in this area to see what people think.
I'm looking for criticisms or suggestions.  From what I understand, there's
no momentum and this is a fairly open problem.

Also, one last question out of curiosity, are references to the NKJV made
because, aside from the non-Protestant books, its of the same versification
as the KJV?

-DJ