[sword-devel] Virtual Library of Theology

avolunteer DrStovallFoundation pythondrs at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 04:28:19 MST 2007

Dear Anja and sword developers,
I have MAs in Linguistics from Michigan and Practical Field from a
Theological University.  I have solved problems by searching on parts
of speech in the Greek New Testament.  I am very interested in what Anja
is proposing.

I spend most of my life doing social development and disaster relief in
the third world.  But until Sept 2, I am in Europe and willing to be
part of a team doing what Anja has proposed as long as it is done in
Python, RPython, or has one of these as a wrapper around it.  Why?
Because other languages either lack power or cannot be easily taught to
third world people who have very little education and so little self-
confidence that they need to see immediate results.  By giving them
something they can understand with a little instruction they feel as
though they are part of the project and a few of them will continue to
learn.  Give them a package and they think this is just another gift
which is not a real opportunity for them to have a part in really
changing the world.  I can't count how many relief workers have said to
me, 'When will these people start doing something for themselves instead
of just looking for a hand-out?'  The answer is simple.  Whenever we
we do not give them complete aid but rather give them the start of a
project and expect them to complete it with us with our help.  This is
true even if we have the complete project already done and are hiding
the details and expecting them to work with us to find the solution.

Yours truly,
a volunteer