[sword-devel] French ligatures in Louis SÉGOND’s text

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Mon Jul 16 00:39:37 MST 2007

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Chris Little wrote:
> Should umlauted letters be decomposed also? So a-umlaut becomes ae,
> o-umlaut becomes oe, u-umlaut becomes ue--which works fine for German,
> but I doubt for many other languages.

It doesn't work for Swedish and I think not for other Scandinavian
languages either. Definitely not for Finnish.

> The only ligatures that we could safely decompose without reference to
> language are typographic ligatures, and we would never encode those as
> ligatures in the first place.

As was said, KJV and Webster's use ligatures (IIRC the first entry in
Webster's is a ligature - or was it the last one?)

For those languages/modules where the occasions are rare, could it be
possible to add special markup inside the module? like
insert-ae-ligature-here<x-variant-typography>word-with-ae<x-variant...>?

Then that markup could be indexed with the main text for the search.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland