[sword-devel] Oddness in Psalms headers

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Mon Jul 2 06:19:16 MST 2007

An enhancement to GnomeSword was recently made to integrate 0:0 and
n:0 headers into Bible chapters.  One result of this was seeing an
oddness in Psalms headers, in some build environments.  I'm not sure
it's specific to the n:0 issue, but that's when I noticed it.

On my Fedora7 systems, the pre-verse on NASB Psalms 2 shows up as
        The Reign of the Lord's Anointed.
"Lord's" is italicized, without smallcaps.

But under both Fedora Core 5 and Windows+Cygwin systems, that same
header appears as
        The Reign of the LORD'\S/ Anointed.
The same word in question is (obviously) uppercase, using smallcaps,
and not italicized.  The backslash-slash is literal, and the `S' is
normal uppercase, and it alone is italicized.

>From the examples/cmdline directory of Sword, running
        ./lookup NASB Ps.2.1
gives me this:
        <title subType="x-preverse" type="section">The Reign of the <divineName>Lord</divineName>’\<transChange type="added">S</transChange>/ Anointed.</title>
I notice that the backslash-slash are outside any markup bits.  So I'm
vaguely mystified [a] why <divineName> is being interpreted
differently in my F7 -vs- {FC5,Cygwin} environments, and [b] how the
backslash-slash manages not to be seen in F7 at all.

It doesn't matter whether GnomeSword is built against GtkMozEmbed or
against gtkhtml3; it happens in both environments.

I build Sword itself from latest SVN; sword.pc shows:
Libs: -L${libdir} -lsword -lz  -L/usr/lib -lclucene
Cflags: -I${includedir}/sword

curious,
--karl