[sword-devel] Some new, public domain, non-English Bibles

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sat Dec 22 21:57:08 MST 2007

Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Danish:  Dette er Biblen (DanDetteBiblen)

This is the same translation as we have currently, I believe. It came
from Project Gutenberg.

The name given to this text suggests that the person who first gave it
that name doesn't understand Danish and consequently mistook a
description for the title. The title Bible Gateway has means "This is
the Bible in Danish"--a fairly unlikely title for the national Bible in
1931/1933. Also, it's copyright is owned by the Danish Bible Society (so
not PD), but it is freely distributable under a reasonable license.

> Italian: Conferenza Episcopale Italiana (ItaCEI)

This has a copyright of 1971. Not PD. Not even freely distributable, to
my knowledge--if it were we would still have the old ItaCEI module
available.

> Polish:  Biblia Tysiaclecia (PolBibTysia)

I don't know anything about this, but if you can't find a source more
reputable & authoritative than Bible Gateway to confirm a date of
publication and/or copyright status, you should assume it's copyrighted
(regardless of what BG may say).

--Chris