[sword-devel] DCMA-Copyright-EULA

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Aug 23 06:34:28 MST 2007

Ronald Snow <rsnowgrsgraphics at embarqmail.com> writes:
> I keep wondering, how is it that someone can write down what another
> person says and claim it is their own personal property?

It is not the original writing, or speech, that is being regarded as
copyrighted.  Rather, the result of translation, and perhaps annotation
in various forms, is what is held under copyright.  The process of
translation is regarded under most of the planet's legal systems as a
creative act, and also represents significant personal and monetary
investment, and is therefore copyrightable.