[sword-devel] GEN Book spec question

ZJ Li lzj369 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:13:14 MST 2007

Hi, all

I am creating a WYSIWYG editor for Gen book.  It will be in EPL or GPL
licence.

Now the editor works fine. I would like to convert the source into Sword Gen
book format(of course, it is java code).  However, I check the maillist and
website, could not find the spec.

Things I understand so far:

1. we can use THML / OSIS as input  , xml2gbs will be the tool
2. a data file(bdt), an index file(idx) and another file (dat)make a
complete module
3. xml2gbs check divn tags recursively to create the module by puting $$$
in.
4. I have converted the xml2gbs (only THML part) to java code.  then I
realized I am missing something. The c++ code only checks for DIVN, how
about other popular tags? like H1-H5, P etc. Do we index them at all?

questions:
1. Can any one provide any info on the gen book data format after import
into the system. Namely the DBT file spec.
2. what is the use of the third file : dat file.  Which piece of code
generates the file?
3. Can anyone give an explanation on the top level design of gen book. like
the algorithm to generate the index(Much appriciated!) and the algorithm to
load the index and the data(DM has done coding this part, so you can ignore
if you do noe have time).

Thanks!
ZJ