[sword-devel] No, not new! Re: a MacSword review

Wade Maxfield wmaxfield at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 06:46:06 MST 2007

  There is a program out there called REALbasic, and it provides the ability
to write one program and compile it for WIndows, Macintosh, and Linux, and
have it run on all those platforms.

   The "standard" version of REALbasic for Linux is free.  I have the
professional version.  With the standard version, you can't use some of the
advanced database features with external databases, but the REALbasic
database support is included.  There is not much that you can't do with the
standard version (except you would do development only for your platform).

   If the front end were to be written in REALbasic, I would be willing to
work with you to make sure it runs on the Windows and Macintosh platforms,
and I would compile with the Professional version so that it could be
distributed for all the platforms.

   In other words, you could develop for one platform and then I'd help make
it work on the others.  If I see enough progress, I'd spring for one copy of
professional for one of you.

   I have been using REALbasic for several months now, and it works.  I've
written some complex code, and had it work (with a few tweaks) on all three
platforms.   It does have some quirks (as do all development platforms), but
it works. It is very close to VB6 in how you do things.  Close enough to
make it easy to pick up.

   Let me know.

Maranatha!
Wade