[sword-devel] No, not new! Re: a MacSword review

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 23 05:03:06 MST 2007

On Apr 23, 2007, at 4:48 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:

> It would be great if there would be only one cross-platform frontend
> which could be the one for Windows users.

JSword/BibleDesktop: Already on Windows, Mac and Unix.

A few fundamental things the app does not do that other Sword Apps do:
1) Personal Commentary
2) Parallel View
3) Dictionary integration. (Can't right click on a word and get its
definition)

Wrt the Sword engine, primarily it does not have:
module writing capabilities.
Support for modules that don't exist today (e.g. GenBook Bibles [aka
alternate versification], Papyrus and TEI)

However, BibleDesktop won't be "THE" frontend:
1) It is not based on the C++ engine. JSword will always be behind in
development, since it follows Sword development.
2) Too few developers willing to volunteer.
3) Multiple frontends are a good thing. Different people approach
Bible study differently and therefore the workflow that is inherent
in any UI will suit some better than others.
4) People don't like installing Java. Especially on Linux.
5) I don't want it to be the only frontend and am not suggesting it.