[sword-devel] KJV2006 progress report

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 8 06:28:47 MST 2006

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, DM Smith wrote:
>
>> I also want to experiment with using <q sID="xxx" who="Jesus"/> ... <q
>> eID="xxx"> to see if SWORD for Windows can handle it correctly. If so, I
>> am inclined to change all quotes to this form. (feedback desired)
>>

> Is it really good idea to change markup for one frontend? It should be
> other way round. If frontend cannot do something, it should be changed.

Eeli,
    I appreciate your feedback. Your question seems to be rhetorical,
but I'll give an answer.

    Today, modules are not being released because SWORD for Windows
1.5.8 has not been released. If I were to introduce correct markup into
the module that it could not handle, that would require a change, then
it may be prevented from being released until the software is updated.
This change is not necessary.

    From a theoretical standpoint, quotes span verses and may start in
the middle of one and end in the middle of another. They can also start
in the middle of one paragraph and end in the middle of another. When
this kind of thing happens, a milestoned version of the begin and end
tags for one of the elements that cross is needed. According to the OSIS
standard, for a given element that can be milestoned, only one form can
be used in a document. The choice is left to the encoder.

    I agree that the frontends need to be changed if they cannot handle
valid markup. I think that we should give lead time when possible.

In His Service,
    DM