[sword-devel] Another KJV markup question

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Mon Mar 6 11:53:27 MST 2006

(I'm just going to answer those questions that I can actually offer some
advice on. Most of the KJV markup is Troy's work, so he'll have to
answer some questions himself.)

DM Smith wrote:
> The following construct if fairly frequent:
> <w src="19" lemma="strong:G4155" morph="robinson:V-IAI-3S">and took
> <transChange type="added">him</transChange> by the throat</w>
>
> The problem is that <w> does not allow for <transChange>.
> Should this be changed to <seg type="x-transChange"
> subType="added">him</seg>?
> (This is the form that is used within study notes.)

If the markup is correct, this would be something to address to the OSIS
TC for correction in the next version of the standard. And I could see
where it could be an issue in some languages, even if it doesn't turn
out to be one in Greek.

Not knowing any meaningful quantity of Greek, I find it a bit hard to
believe that they have a single word that means "to take by the
throat"--so it may be that the <w> element is capturing too much. If the
meaning is something more basic (without an incorporated object) like
"to choke", then you can probably do something like:

<w src="19" lemma="strong:G4155" morph="robinson:V-IAI-3S">and took</w>
<transChange type="added">him</transChange> <w src="19"
lemma="strong:G4155" morph="robinson:V-IAI-3S">by the throat</w>

In such a case, the better markup probably would be what is already
encoded, since the added "him" is morphologically specified by the verb
identified by the <w> element.

On the other hand, <seg>, as you propose, preserves the correct
information, permitting quick and easy update to a new version of OSIS,
if it is changed to accomodate the more proper encoding.

--Chris