[sword-devel] BibleCS Installer

DM Smith dmsmith555 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 6 10:07:07 MST 2006

L.Allan-pbio wrote:
> Thanks for the update. Hope you don't mind the "cage rattling".

I don't mind at all. We are all in this together.

> Unless it involves a pda, today's huge hard drives make it a
> relatively lower priority to "clean up" everything during an
> uninstall. My experience is that the fussy reviewers at
> CNet/Download.com and TuCows pay attention to the thoroughness of the
> uninstaller, but most end-users may not care if some resources get
> left installed if they uninstall the app.

I'm not sure this is true. If I install to my company laptop, but then
find out that I am in violation of company policy and have to fully
remove the product, I'd want the uninstaller to be thorough.

> I would advise against the uninstaller trying to figure out this
> "hodge podge" out and attempt to "do the right thing". It seems too
> likely that some modules will get unintentionally deleted which
> interferes with the operation of other apps.

I agree. I am thinking that HKCU/Software/CrossWire would contain the
registration of applications that care to use a common repository. If
the application that is the only registered application, then it should
delete the modules (or perhaps asking the user's permission). Otherwise
it should leave them alone (or perhaps ask the user's permission, but
letting them know that other applications are still registered users of
the modules).

> To me, the problem is that end-users with multiple CrossWire front-end
> apps will intend to install a module, and be confused and frustrated
> when some front-ends can "see" the module, and some can't.

BibleCS has set the stage in that it assumes that it is the only SWORD
application on the user's system. I'm just suggesting that the
uninstaller be a bit more friendly. And not that the application changes
at this time to look in other locations.

So BibleDesktop and the LCD bible are the ones that are confusing
BibleCS, not the other way around;)