[sword-devel] SWORDWeb i18n

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Jun 8 20:18:43 MST 2006

Yiguang,

> I have a translation for the zh locale already and
> used at ccim.org. I'd like to put that into crosswire
> repository and others can used it and improve it, of
> course also makes it easier for me to manage it.
> I have attached that file here. Please feel free to
> post it or make it as the base for zh version
> translation site.

	I've added your contributed locale as the first official locale in SVN!
  Thank you!  It can be seen from:

http://crosswire.org/study?lang=zh_CN

> The bible install on ccim still has problem keeping up
> with the connection problem with corba. You mentioned
> a improvement on this problem before, Is this already
> done so I can update it or it is still been worked on.

	Yes, we've done some things.  We have 2 security limits which we have
added:

1) a maximum number of sessions from a single IP addresss;
2) a maximum number of hits per second from the same session.

	These will hopefully protect against webcrawlers opening thousands of
sessions, and also people attempting to scrape the data for an entire
Bibles from your site.  This will hopefully limit the number of
processes spawned by swordweb.  The root of the problem you are probably
running up against is that the user account running tomcat probably has
a security setting which places a quota on the maximum number of
processes it can run simultaneously.  Currently there is 1 orb spawned
as a process to handle each web session.

	The next step we should take is to close inactive orb servers after a
short timeout of inactivity-- like 10 seconds.  This will greatly limit
the number of processes running concurrently and should not noticeably
change the user experience.

	So, to sum up.  We've made 2 good improvements which you might benefit
from already.  I'll try to get to this last improvement sometime this week.

	There have been some fairly significant changes in SVN over the past 3
weeks, so you might need to upgrade things like clucene if you update
your site.

> If there is anything I can get involved please let me
> know. I really like to take advantage of the sword/web
> to serve our readers. I have forgot C/C++ almost
> completely, but my daily work is on java and live on
> it.

	Well, we have one pressing need on swordweb which you might be able to
help with.  It's listed on the new wiki at:

http://crosswire.org/wiki/index.php/Current_events

	If you feel like helping out, we could definitely use it!

	Again, thanks for the i18n!  Very cool!

		-Troy.

  I also played Joe's DWR and developed couple of