[sword-devel] virtual modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Jan 22 02:04:31 MST 2006

I am actually talking about dynamically creating the configurations
themselves (using SWConfig). So a user would use the frontend to
manually add some set of modules to a new parallel virtual module (or
remove them). Each time the configuration is changed, SWConfig would
write out its new configuration to a .conf file. Thus, the next time the
user starts his frontend, the same parallel view would be available.
(Plus the user could create multiple such parallel views--say one for
his 4 favorite English Bibles, one for parallel WLC, LXX, & KJV, etc.)

My vision for the implementation of a basic notes virtual module in
BibleCS currently would require that every change of the active Bible
text notify the notes module to change its base module. For example, if
you're viewing the KJV and switch to the NASB, BibleCS would change the
configuration of the notes module, changing its base module from KJV to
NASB (regardless of whether the notes module happens to be the
commentary currently selected). However, an alternative would be to
allow the user to select which module a notes window displays. Thus, a
user could configure a notes virtual module to display the notes and/or
cross-references from any specific module, regardless of which module is
currently visible (permitting the user to view, e.g. the notes from the
NET Bible along with the text of the NASB). But I don't know whether
this would be a useful addition since most texts will have footnote
markers, without which a note may not be particularly clear.

--Chris