[sword-devel] virtual modules

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 16:36:39 MST 2006

Is it necessary that the library utilize saved conf files for this
construct?  I really like the ability to dynamically swap modules in and
out, and that seems like it would require the creation of new .conf files
for every module combination that is desired.  It seems to me that the
number of parallel texts could rapidly expand out of hand in this way.  Just
presuming a basic install had some 10 modules installed, then that person
could have 10! module combinations if they don't repeat any, and an
unlimited combination if they repeat modules.  Numbers that grow
exponentially, especially if they are related to constrcuts in memory or on
disk, scare me.

I think providing the interface to a parallel module would be great, and
possibly allowing a .conf file to specify some predefined ones would be
useful, but I think that the most useful parallel construct would simply be
a dynamically accessible parallel module (with or without a limit to modules
viewable in parallel) which the front-end could swap in and out for
different module texts as well as add and remove them on-the-fly.  It might
be a little tricky to specify the interface for adding and removing texts,
especially if one text (such as the ASV) could be inserted multiple times to
get a parallel view of ASV-KJV-ASV-ALT-ASV-TR-etc.  But I think that would
be most useful... at least in my experience and thought.

--Greg