[sword-devel] virtual modules

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jan 18 11:57:49 MST 2006

We've got a number of what you might call "virtual modules" either
implemented or desired. I can't speak of other frontends, but BibleCS
has a "PARALLEL" tab, used to present multiple versions interlinearly.
I've recently implemented a "NOTES" tab in BibleCS that pulls any
footnotes in the selected translation and places them in a tab in the
commentary window. (This was basically for the NET Bible, so that we can
have a translation & its notes in separate windows, but driven by a
single module--the way OSIS was meant to be encoded. Now there's also
talk of a word-by-word verse diff tool, which could likewise be
presented in its own tab--on par with other modules.

The question I would pose is: does any one have feelings, one way or
another, of pushing all of this code from the frontends back into the
API? What I envision is a virtual module that, when polled for a
specific key, constructs the result from other existing modules using
(more or less) the same interface as existing modules. Thus new
frontends and existing ones that don't have the functionality get it for
free.

--Chris