[sword-devel] KJV2006 Project

Kristian Due kriswdue at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 15 10:44:54 MST 2006

Hi!

Just wanted to add two more reasons (in addition to  Chris' good point
of hyperothodoxy) why you should not capitalize the pronouns in KJV. You
are probably aware of them anyway, but I think them a little funny, so
they deserve to be mentioned.

    1) The singular pronouns (e.g. thou/thee) in middle-english are
always used in non-formal settings, and for formal settings the plural
forms you (and ye) were used. The funny thing here is the semantic shift
because the middle english *informal* pronouns have become the modern
english *formal* pronouns, and vice versa!
    2) If the translators of KJV had wanted to revere God by pronouns,
they certainly would have used the formal ones. The informal pronouns
probably reflect a theological consideration - a God we are allowed to
call abba/daddy certainly does not demand reverence through capitalized
pronouns.

When the pronouns in KJV are capitalized, it is because of a severe
semantic misunderstanding (which is a little funny...) and, as I would
argue, a severe theological misunderstanding.

I am aware that perhaps someone would feel that the second argument here
is disputable, and I know this is not a theological mailinglist, but I
hope these points may be of interest! For of course - the main point
should be to give the KJV text as it was originally printed, no matter
how the translators use pronouns.

My best wishes for KJV 2006

Kristian Due